Sunday, September 11, 2005

A new toy

I used to be one of those people with file cabinets full of “documents” and “records” at home. But I have always harbored a few ounces of doubt as to whether I should actually be keeping all these files. Would I ever need to consult an old brokerage statement or credit card bill?

More concerning was that I definitely wanted to keep some of the files, like old tax returns, but if anything ever happened to them (fire, flood, or most likely – a misplaced box), I wouldn't have them when I needed them. The last thing I wanted to do was make extra copies.

After a little shopping research, I found the answer. And it lives up to every rave review on Amazon. It is Fujitsu’s Scansnap FI-5110EOX2 scanner.

I can put stacks of 50 pages in the feeder at once, and in a couple of minutes, I have a digital document.

Hats off to the product team at Fujitsu. They got every single feature right:

  • it scans double- or single-sided pages in one pass (and accurately auto-detects)
  • it never jams
  • it can do color or black and white images
  • it comes with Adobe Acrobat and outputs PDF files
  • it allows you to trade off quality/resolution vs. file size using 4 distinct settings. The lowest is fine for most business documents and requires about 50kb per page side scanned; the highest produces near-photo quality JPEGs
  • it comes with a USB 2.0 (or 1.x) connector
  • it takes up hardly any space (it’s about 10” tall with a 6” x 13” footprint)
  • it retails for less than $450.

I have since emptied and scanned several drawers of files. These documents, and the file cabinets that used to store them, are now teed up for a trip to the garbage.

Can anyone recommend a good shredder?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you organizing the resulting mounds of files?

I imagine you have named each file by hand and organized it in hierarchical categories.

Is there any OCR + Search method to access these files?

Jeremy said...

Yes, I'm hand-naming files and putting them into folders/directories. I believe there are some pretty good OCR packages out there, but I haven't bothered (yet).

Anonymous said...

You don't really need *document management* anymore, in fact you hardly need any directories, just use Desktop Search.
I don't know about the GYM products, but the one I use, Copernic Desktop Search indexes the entire content of PDF files (amongst others), so you can pull up any document with a simple keyword search in minutes.

Pomona Bathroom Renovations said...

Hi, thanks for sharing this.